IMISCOE (International Migration, Integration and Social Cohesion in Europe) is Europe's largest interdisciplinary research network in the field of migration, integration and diversity studies. The research network currently consists of 32 research institutes from almost all European countries and from various disciplines, including sociology, political science, economics, law, demography, public administration, social geography and history.
The IMISCOE Research Network is currently involved in the following types of activities:
- Research: The Network supports and maintains a broad range of research initiatives in line with the special expertise of its members. The development of common lines of study is primarily research-driven. The IMISCOE Research Network derives its relevance for society in general and for policy and politics in particular from its theory-based, analytical contributions. To promote specific research ideas and niches, the network provides 'seed funding' to international and interdisciplinary research clusters (including a number of established Standing Committees). Currently the network supports 22 research clusters.
- Publications: Over more than a decade the IMISCOE network has established a book series with key contributions from fields of migration, integration and diversity studies. To promote the dissemination of research and the widest possible access to research, IMISCOE has become the leading supporter of Open Access publishing in this research area. As of 2015, the IMISCOE network will also be associated to the Open Access journal Comparative Migration Studies.
- Training: Training of young researchers is an essential task of the Network. By pooling the resources and expertise of its partners and members, IMISCOE facilitates the highest quality training for all Network members. It also makes long-term investments in the broader field by opening its training facilities to non-members. To this aim, the Network provides annual winter- or summer schools for PhD's, as well as specific training modules at other IMISCOE events. Also, every year IMISCOE provides the Maria Ioannis Baganha Award to the best PhD Thesis in the field of migration, integration and social cohesion in Europe.
- Communication: The IMISCOE Research Network maintains publications and communications channels to ensure that the results of its research are available to the public at large as well as to politicians, policymakers and other stakeholders. Its ambition is to make a difference in public perceptions and policymaking by contributing sound, knowledge-based information.
- Conferences: Throughout the year numerous IMISCOE events are organised, in the context of research clusters, publication events, PhD training, etc. The most important item on the annual agenda of IMISCOE is the annual conference, which has ben organised every year since 2004 by one of IMISCOE's member institutes. This year's 11th Annual Conference will be organised by IUEM in Madrid (see link).