IMISCOE has closed an agreement with Springer for publishing the IMISCOE Book Series and the Journal Comparative Migration Studies. This agreement allows IMISCOE to take a new step in developing its publication series, which had been first established in 2004.
In more detail, the agreement includes the following provisions:
- Springer will publish IMISCOE Books in Open Access as well as non-OA books, depending on the choice of the authors. IMISCOE aims to publish around 6 to 10 books per year (OA as well as non-OA).
- IMISCOE will continue supporting Open Access books with an IMISCOE OA-Subsidy for IMISCOE members (IMISCOE will subsidize half of the open access fee with a maximum of 6 OA books per year).
- The IMISCOE Editorial Committee will maintain editorial autonomy over reviewing and accepting book manuscript. So will the Editorial Board of the Journal CMS.
- All members of IMISCOE will receive full membership access to all manuscripts of (OA as well as non-OA) IMISCOE books via a pass-word protected link at the IMISCOE-website. This will make all books (except the IMISCOE text books that have been published with AUP) available for IMISCOE members.
- Springer and IMISCOE will make a joint investment in the development of the journal CMS for the coming period, enabling the journal to establish higher impact and to maintain its Open Access publishing strategy without asking Article Processing Fees for a period of at least two years. This means CMS wil, for the time being, be the only OA journal 'free of open access authors fees' in our field!
- Springer will provide a new incentive to the marketing of the IMISCOE book series and the journal.
The book agreement will become effective immediately until mid 2018; the agreement for the journal began in January 2015 for a three year period.
More on Springer:
Springer Science+Business Media (www.springer.com) is a leading global scientific, technical and medical publisher, providing researchers in academia, scientific institutions and corporate R&D departments with quality content via innovative information products and services.
We currently publish roughly 2,200 English-language journals and more than 8,400 new books annually, in 5 main publishing fields: science, technology, medicine, business, and transport. The group is home to the world's largest STM eBook collection with more than 160,000 titles available on link.springer.com, as well as the most comprehensive open access portfolio worldwide, with over 420 open access journals, including BioMed Central, the pioneering open access publisher.
With local offices worldwide, Springer has a global presence with more than 7,000 employees across the globe. We have publishing partnerships with more than 500 scientific societies and are very proud that IMISCOE has selected us as their publishing partner for the IMISCOE book series and the Comparative Migration Studies journal.
Both the book series and journal will be the centerpiece of and will perfectly complement our well-respected migration and population studies program, which are core areas in Springer's social sciences publication list. The uniqueness of these IMISCOE publications lies in the fact that they are published open access where possible thereby making the content available to anyone worldwide 24/7.
The main contacts at Springer are Evelien Bakker (Senior Publishing Editor) and Bernadette Deelen-Mans (Senior Publishing Assistant). In different positions both Evelien and Bernadette have each been with Springer, previously Kluwer Academic Publishers, for 25 years and very much look forward to working with IMISCOE for many years to come.