- Dr. Peter Scholten (Erasmus University Rotterdam)
The aim of the IMISCOE Standing Committee ‘Research-policy dialogues on migration and integration’ is to reflect on the relation between research and policy in the field of migration and integration. The focus is on what is conceptualized as ‘research-policy dialogues’: ways in which research and policy engage in meaningful interaction.
This research group was established in 2008. It was a spin off from the former C9 cluster and a successful IMISCOE conference held on the topic in 2008 at the University of Twente. Since then, many achievements have been made through the collaboration between research partners in this cluster. This includes a research project awarded by the Volkswagenstiftung (DIAMINT, concluded in 2014), a number of journal articles, various conference panels at IMISCOE events as well as at several other academic conferences and most recently a book to be published in the IMISCOE research series. The research group was elevated to the status of standing committee in 2014.
Under the overarching theme ‘Research-policy dialogues’, the research group focuses its empirical work on three specific topics:
- Research-policy structures. This involves a comparative analysis of how research-policy relations are organized in various countries and on various levels of government.
- The use of knowledge and expertise in migration and integration policy making. This involves the policy role of expertise in different stages of the policy process (problem framing, policy formulation, policy implementation, policy evaluation) and different types of knowledge utilisation (instrumental, symbolic, conceptual, etc).
- Policy dialogues and the development of migration research. This topic covers the impact of diverse policy settings on the development of migration research, in terms of structural (knowledge institutes, research infrastructures, degree of consensus or fragmentation in a field), methodological (quantitative/qualitative, desk research/in-depth research, etc.) as well as disciplinary developments (dominant disciplines, knowledge conflicts, knowledge paradigms).
For more information, see DIAMINT.
- Prof.dr. Han Entzinger, Erasmus University of Rotterdam (Neths.)
- Dr. Peter Scholten, Erasmus University of Rotterdam (Neths.)
- Prof.dr. Gianni D’Amato, SFM, Universite de Neuchatel
- Prof.dr. Rinus Penninx, Amsterdam University (Neths.)
- Prof.dr. Friedrich Heckmann, EFMS (Ger.)
- Prof.dr. Andrew Geddes, University of Sheffield (UK).
- Dr. Maren Borkert, University of Vienna (Aut)
- Dr. Albert Kraler, ICMPD (Aut).
- Dr. Frank Lazcko, IOM (Sui)
- Dr. Christina Boswell, University of Edinburgh (GB)
- Dr. Tiziana Caponio, FIERI (Ita)
- Prof.dr. Giovanna Zincone, FIERI (Ita)
- Prof.dr. Marek Okolski, CMR (Pol.)
- Dr. Magdalena Lesinska, CMR (Pol.)
- Dr. Patrycja Matusz, University of Wroclaw (Pol.)
- Dr. Ricard Moren, University of Barcelona (Esp.)
- Prof.dr. Cristina Gortázar, IEM (Esp.)
- Dr. Carolina Parra Cartagena, IEM (Esp.)
- Dr. Martin Bak-Jørgensen, Aalborg University (Dk.)
- Mr. Ryo Kuboyama, Bielefeld University (Ger.)
- Dr. Alistair Hunter, Edinburgh University
Agenda of activities
- Book workshop ‘Research-policy dialogues on migrant integration in Europe’, IMISCOE conference, Madrid, August 27 2014.
- Workshop during IMISCOE 12th Annual Conference in Geneva on “Challenges in commissioned migration research” (Invitation)
- Scholten, P., Entzinger. H., Penninx, R. and Verbeek, S. (Eds, forthcoming). Integrating Immigrants in Europe: Research-Policy Dialogues. Dordrecht: Springer
- Scholten, P. (2011). Framing immigrant integration: Dutch research-policy dialogues in comparative perspective. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press.
- Scholten, P. and Verbeek, S. (2014). Politicization and Expertise: Changing research-policy dialogues on migrant integration in Europe. In: Science & Public Policy.
- Boswell, C. and Hunter, A. (2014). The Political Functions of Independent Commissions: comparing UK commissions on migrant integration and cohesion, in Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis.
- Geddes, A. and Scholten, P. (2014). Policy Analysis and Europeanization: An analysis of EU migrant integration policymaking. In Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis.
- Caponio, T., A. Hunter and S.R. Verbeek (2014). (De)constructing expertise: comparing knowledge utilisation in the migrant integration ‘crisis.’ In: Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis.
- Entzinger, H. and Scholten, P. (2014) The interplay of knowledge production and policymaking: A comparative analysis of research and policy-making on migrant integration in Germany and the Netherlands. In: Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis. .
- Scholten, P. and Van Nispen, F. (2014). Policy analysis at times of crises: windows of opportunity for policy learning? In: Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis
- Boswell C., Geddes A. and Scholten, P. (2011). States, Knowledge and Narratives of Migration: The Construction of Immigration in Migration Policy-Making in Europe. British Journal of Politics and International Relations, 13:1.
- Boswell, C. (2011). Migration control and narratives of steering. The British journal of politics & international relations, 13(1), 12-25.
- Bleich, E. (2011). Social research and ‘race’policy framing in Britain and France. The British Journal of Politics & International Relations, 13(1), 59-74.
- Jørgensen, M. B. (2011). Understanding the research–policy nexus in Denmark and Sweden: The field of migration and integration. The British Journal of Politics & International Relations, 13(1), 93-109.
- Scholten, P. (2011) Constructing Dutch immigrant policy. Research-policy relations and immigrant integration in the Netherlands. In: British Journal of Politics and International Relations, 13:1.
- Penninx, R. (2005). Bridges between research and policy? The case of post-war immigration and integration policies in the Netherlands. International Journal on Multicultural Studies, 7(1), 33-48.
- Borkert, M. and Leipold, M.. (2012). DIAMINT: state of the art report on Austrian science-society dialogues. Working paper.
- Boswell, C. and Hunter, A. (2012). DIAMINT: state of the art report on UK science-society dialogues. Working paper.
- Caponio, T. and Quirico, M. (2012). DIAMINT: state of the art report on Italian science-society dialogues. Working paper.
- Geddes, A. (2012). DIAMINT: state of the art report on EU science-society dialogues. Working paper.
- Heckmann, F. and Wiest, D. (2012). DIAMINT: state of the art report on German science-society dialogues. Working paper.
- Verbeek, S., Scholten, P., Entzinger, H. (2012). DIAMINT: state of the art report on Dutch science-society dialogues. Working paper
- Penninx, R., & Scholten, P. (2009). Research-policy dialogues on migration and integration in Europe. IMISCOE Policy Brief.
- Joint IMISCOE-ICPA symposium ‘Policy Learning at times of Crisis’, Erasmus University, November 2013.
- DIAMINT Project Conference, 26-27 September 2013, Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Panel on ‘Science-society dialogues on migrant integration in Europe’ at the CES Conference Amsterdam, 25-27 June 2013
- IMISCOE panel on ‘ Science-society dialogues on migrant integration in Europe’, , Amsterdam 28-29 August, 2012.
- IMISCOE Conference ‘Research-policy dialogues on migrant integration in Europe’, University of Twente, June 2008.