Misconceptions about migration and development
In this episode I speak to Melissa Siegel about the aspirations that drive people's decisions to live elsewhere. Through her research, Melissa debunks the idea that people migrate only to escape poverty and conflict, and that development in sending countries reduces emigration.
Read more about Melissa and her work here: www.merit.unu.edu/about-us/profile/?staff_id=1328
Watch Melissa's YouTube channel here:
- On struggling for migrant workers' rights in Singapore
- About legal liminality and different forms of violence
- Refugees mobilizing for family reunification in Brazil
- How US migration policies shaped Mexican migration to the U.S.A.
- Season 1 Recap with Fiona Seiger & Jolynna Sinanan
- How life experiences inspired a research career