How life experiences inspired a research career
Ien Ang speaks about her research on media audiences , cultural consumption, migration and identity politics in an age of globalisation, and what her biography has got to do with it.
Her two books, “Watching Dallas” and “On not speaking Chinese”, are classics in the field of cultural studies and have been translated into many languages, including Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Turkish, German, Korean, and Spanish.
Ien Ang is Distinguished Professor at Western Sydney University.
This interview was conducted in January 2020.
- On conceiving 'migrant transnationalism'
- On struggling for migrant workers' rights in Singapore
- About legal liminality and different forms of violence
- Refugees mobilizing for family reunification in Brazil
- How US migration policies shaped Mexican migration to the U.S.A.
- Season 1 Recap with Fiona Seiger & Jolynna Sinanan