The Research group Citizenship, Migration and the City (CIMIC) of the Erasmus University Rotterdam is glad to welcome applications for the second edition of the IMISCOE 3CI PhD Conference ‘Changing Europe - Changing Migration’: Europe in the World on the Move.
The second 3CI PhD Conference winter Transnationalism, Integration and Citizenship will focus on the interactions between patterns of transnationalism, integration and citizenship. This conference analyses contemporary migration within and to Europe and patterns of integration through a transnational lens. It will also address the role of migration and integration policies and the societal reception of categories of migrants in host countries. Furthermore, the conference will explicitly address two key issues for PhD students: (1) how to write a world class paper?; (2) and how to plan an academic career?
For more information, and for applying for the winterschool, go to www.cimic-eur.com/winterschool2015
The 3CI PhD Conference includes 5 days of intensive interdisciplinary training by internationally recognised scholars for 30 selected PhD students to support them with content, methodologies and critical perspectives to conduct their research. Successful completion of the 3CI PhD Conference can be awarded with 5 ECTS.
In 2015, guest lectures are:
3 classes each by the invited experts:
- Prof. dr. Peggy Levitt (Professor of Sociology at Wellesley College & researcher at the Weatherhead Centre for International Affairs and the Hauser Centre for Nonprofit Organizations at Harvard University)
- Prof. dr. Russell King (Professor of Geography at the University of Sussex, Sussex Centre for Migration Research)
- Prof. dr. Bieter Bevelander (Professor in International Migration and Ethnic Relations (IMER) at MIM, Malmö Institute of Migration & Professor in Diversity and Welfare and a senior lecturer at the School of IMER, Malmö University).
1 class each by the chairs of the organising research centres:
- Prof. dr. Godfried Engbersen (Professor of Sociology at the Erasmus University of Rotterdam and Researcher at the Erasmus University Research Group on Citizenship, Migration and the City)
- Prof. dr. Marco Martiniello (Professor of Sociology and Politics at the University of Liège and College of Europe, and director of the Center for Ethnic and Migration Studies)
- Prof. dr. Christiane Timmerman (Professor of Anthropology at the University of Antwerp and Director of the Centre for Migration and Intercultural Studies)
The fee for participating in the 3CI PhD Conference costs for participants from EU-15 countries (Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom) and five developed non-EU countries (Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, United States and Canada), will pay a conference fee of €550.
Participants from EU-12 countries (Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia) and other countries will pay a conference fee of €450. IMISCOE members will get a discount of €100. The conference fee covers the classes of the experts, the course material, snack and drinks during the breaks and lunch, a farewell dinner, access to wireless internet, an excursion, and the participation in the evening debate. Participants have to cover their own travel expenses, accommodation costs and social security and health insurance.
To apply, all applicants have to submit an extended abstract representing their current research project, a recommendation letter of their supervisor, a motivation letter and a curriculum vitae. Consult www.cimic-eur.com/winterschool2015 for more information about the application and paper procedure. Selected participants are requested to submit a full research paper before the start of the conference.
This winterschool will take place from 12 January 2015 to Friday 16 January 2015.
Deadline for applications is October 17, 2014 at 12 AM.
More information could be found on www.cimic-eur.com/winterschool2015
The 3CI PhD Conference follows a three-year programme organised by a network of the Centre for Migration and Intercultural Studies (CeMIS) of the University of Antwerp, the Centre for Ethnic and Migration Studies (CEDEM) of the University of Liège and the Erasmus University research group Citizenship, Migration & the City (CIMIC) with financial support of the International Migration, Integration and Social Cohesion (IMISCOE) Research Network.